With the frequent changes on Google’s algorithm and modifications in SEO best practices, it is important for website owners to periodically assess their site if there is a need to make adjustments. You need to make sure that your website is properly optimized for search – otherwise, you could be missing out on potential traffic. One of the ways website owners can assess if their website is optimized for search is through SEO audit.
What is SEO Audit?
SEO audit gives you an overview of your website’s current status. It provides an insight on the negative and positive points of your website so you can work on the former and maintain the latter.
By conducting an audit, you will be able to analyze your website properly in order to strengthen it. The audit will help you determine the flaws that keep your website from achieving success.
What are the benefits of SEO Audit?
With an SEO audit, you can get the following benefits:
1. Determine the weakness of your current SEO campaign
An SEO audit report will show you the strategies that are not performing well. It will help you uncover issues such as duplicate content, irrelevant meta descriptions or keywords, lack of social media sharing buttons, or non-targeted keywords.
From the audit report, you may also discover that your website has slow speed and has poisonous inbound links. By uncovering these issues, you will be able to implement a successful SEO strategy.
2. Determine the strengths of your competitors.
Aside from your weaknesses, doing an SEO audit will help you discover the techniques that your competitors are putting to good use. For example, they might be getting links from qualified and relevant websites. By discovering the strengths of your competitors, you will be able to improve your own website’s SEO performance.
3. Enhance your SEO strategies
Once you have an idea on the weaknesses of your strategies, you can work on making the proper adjustments to boost your SEO campaign. Some of the things you can do to improve your SEO includes using targeted keywords, removing duplicate content, increasing site speed, and adding social media buttons.
4. Boost your search engine rankings
When you have identified the areas that needs to be worked on, the audit report will open up more opportunities to make your website attractive to search engines.
What to expect from an SEO Audit
Impressed with the benefits of SEO audit? If you are considering to conduct as SEO audit for your website, you should be aware of the 8 components of a standard SEO audit report:
- Backlink Competitive Analysis. This component provides an overview of the quality of your backlinks in comparison with your competitors.
- Poisonous Link Analysis. This helps to check if there are bad links coming to your website.
- Content Keyword Analysis. This is an evaluation of how Google interprets your website based on its contents.
- Site Speed Analysis. The speed of your website is analyzed as well as recommendations on how to improve it.
- Duplicate Content Analysis. This component checks if there are several versions of your webpage indexed by Google.
- Content Audit Analysis. This is an evaluation of SEO components such as meta descriptions, meta keywords, title tags, SEO-friendly URLs, and other website attributes.
- Social Sharing Button Analysis. This is an assessment if your website has social media sharing icons on your blogs and other website pages.
Strategies To Create From An SEO Audit
As a website owner, you should undertake the following SEO techniques at least once a year:
1. Check on-page SEO
You can easily change your website’s SEO plan by making on-site changes. It will take time for you to see the results, but it will only take a few hours to make on-site tweaks.
2. Check that your site can be indexed by search engines
What good will your SEO be if it cannot be searched in the first place? Make sure to resolve any issues that keep search engine bots from properly indexing your website. Check for any improperly installed codes or hacked content.
3. Check your link profile and compare it with your competitors
When you are done doing on-page optimization, the next step is to analyze your website’s backlink profile. The number and quality of backlinks leading to your website can have a huge impact on your site’s search engine results.
4. Look for broken links or dead pages
Your website may contain broken outbound links or dead pages. These erroneous links can hamper your site SEO, so make sure to identify and resolve any issues.
If you are using a content management system or an e-commerce platform, there are a lot of tools that can automatically check these links. Some WordPress plugins, for instance, can notify you of any broken links. Meanwhile, some online apps can run a free site link checker to help you identify and resolve any issues concerning backlinks.
5. Check the speed of your website
The average speed and page load time of your website can impact the amount of traffic in your website. Visitors will not usually spend much time on a website that loads pages slowly.
Site speed is an important ranking factor, and so you need to prioritize the speed of your website if you want to boost traffic and search engine rankings.
Subjecting your website to an SEO audit can go a long way in improving overall performance. With the tough competition online, you need to make sure that your website is generating enough traffic and getting ranked where you want it to be. Otherwise, your efforts will all be for naught.
You can always bank on the help of an SEO agency to make your website SEO-friendly and attractive to your potential customers. If you have not considered an audit report for your website yet, today is the best time to include this in your SEO strategy.