According to Google, 83% of shoppers run a search before heading to a physical store, and 60% of smartphone users have contacted businesses using the info found in search results.
This relationship between online and physical behavior means that, as a business owner, you need to provide potential customers with accurate and consistent information. An up-to-date business listing featuring your name, address, and phone number (a combination called ‘NAP’) for your local citations enables customers to find you when they need you.
In this article, I’ll share two ways to update your Google Maps address and your Google Business Profile so you can provide accurate information to potential customers.
How Do I Change My Address on Google?
There are two ways to change your business’ address on Google Maps: editing NAP information directly after a Google search or logging into your Google Business Profile (formerly Google My Business). Changing your address via either method will update your information on both Google Maps and Google Business Profile. You can also use these methods to switch from a defined address to a service area or to delete your address.
Guide for How To Change Business Address on Google Maps
First off, if you don’t have a Business Profile account for your company, set one up and claim the listing generated by Google. If a listing doesn’t already exist, you can create a new listing yourself.
If you already have an account, familiarize yourself with Google’s guidelines for representing your business online so you can format your address correctly.
How To Change Your Google Maps Address Right From Search
The first method for updating your address on Google Maps is a quick edit made directly on the search engine results page (SERP) that features your Business Profile.
- Log in to an email address connected with your Google Business Profile account.
- Search for your business’s name in the Google search bar. Your business’s NAP information should appear in a Business Profile on the right-hand side of the results page or right under the search bar.
- Near the bottom of the profile, click on ‘Edit your business information.’ You’ll be able to edit different attributes, such as hours and contact information. To change your address, click on the ‘Location’ tab.
- Delete the old address and enter the new one in the address field. Click the ‘+Add address line’ if you need to entire a suite, unit, or mailbox number. If Google has trouble locating your address, you may be asked to drag the red pin to the correct spot on the map.
You can also leave these fields blank if you want to take down your address or toggle the ‘Show business address to customers’ option if your location is not accessible to customers.
- Double-check everything is correct, and click ‘Save.’
Google requires that businesses reverify their accounts after an address update. Thus, once you save your edits, your profile will be marked as ‘Verification Required.’
Click ‘Get Verified’ to start the process.
This is often done via a postcard. Once you’ve reverified your account, your updated business address will go live. If it doesn’t, try again or get in touch with Google Support.
How To Edit Your Google Maps Address From Your Google Business Account
The second way to change your business address is through your Google Business Account. (This way achieves the same results as the previous method. The only difference is how you navigate to the change options.)
- Sign in to your Google Business Account. On the left-hand menu, click ‘Info.’
- Click on the edit icon (the little gray pencil) next to the map.
- Update your address in the pop-up panel. Click ‘Add Line’ to add a suite, unit, or mailbox number. If Google Maps can’t immediately locate your address, you’ll need to manually drag the red pin to your location on the map. Alternatively, click ‘Clear address’ to remove your address entirely.
- Once you’re sure everything is correct, click ‘Apply.’
The update will be ‘Verification Required’ until your new address is verified. Once you’ve completed the verification process, this should change to “Pending edits.” Check back in a few days to ensure Google has updated your address. If your new address isn’t live, try again or contact support for help.
When you’re done updating your address, check that you’re following our Google Business Profile optimization best practices.
FAQS About How To Change a Business Address on Google Maps
Is there a waiting period after I update my address?
Yes. After updating your address on GBP, you may need to reverify your information. Once you’ve completed the reverification, it may take three days to update the address on Google Maps and your Business Profile.
If you’ve completely deleted your address, it may take up to 60 days to take effect.
I received a notification that my info has been updated without my input. What should I do?
You may receive a notification stating, “Your business location was updated by Google.” (See the screenshot below for an example.)
There are a few reasons you might see this notification, including:
- Your new address was marked invalid or doesn’t meet address standards.
- The Google AI found conflicting information about your business on another site and updated your profile accordingly.
- Google received information about your company from a user. Commonly, a customer might click ‘Suggest an edit on a Business Profile’ and recommend changes to NAP information if they notice something is incorrect.
Typically, suggested edits won’t go live unless you click ‘Accept.’
Most of these messages should result from legitimate updates. However, sometimes bad actors decide to use this ‘Suggest an edit’ feature to harass a business. If you receive spam or malicious edits, you can report a violation here.
I updated my address, but the old address is still showing up. What’s wrong?
Google requires that businesses reverify their listings after certain edits — like adding a new address or a new location. Log in to your account and navigate to your profile to begin the verification process.
If you’ve already completed the reverification and your requested changes are still not showing up after three days, contact Google Support.
Does updating my address on Google Maps also update it everywhere else on the web?
No. While many local citation and review sites pull data from these services, you may need to contact third-party companies directly or log into your account on sites like Yelp to make changes. If you don’t update your address elsewhere on the web, Google may try to change it back to match what it finds on other sites.
Supercharge Your Local SEO Performance
Your local search engine optimization (SEO) performance depends on a variety of factors — including uniform and up-to-date business information. It may seem like a small detail, but it can make all the difference when a potential customer needs your services or products.
Increase the likelihood of appearing in local searches and capturing potential customers’ attention with a local SEO strategy engineered to improve your search performance. Learn more about our local SEO services and schedule a free SEO consultation today.